Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Stewarton

Burgh (Medieval)

Site Name Stewarton

Classification Burgh (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Stuarton; Kirkcolm; 'barony Of Corsewall'

Canmore ID 60723

Site Number NX06NW 22

NGR NX

NGR Description Unlocated

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/60723

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Kirkcolm
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NX06NW 22 unlocated

Formerly entered at cited location NX c. 03 68.

The barony of Corsewall passed to Alexander, Lord Stewart of Garlies, in 1622, and it was confirmed to him by a charter of 1623, two months before he became Earl of Galloway. By the same charter, the king erected a burgh of barony, to be called Stewartoun. This charter was ratified by parliament in 1633. A charter of 14 July 1662, confirmed the possessions of James, earl of Galloway, including the barony of Corswall, with the burgh of barony of Stuartoun. Although there does seem to have been a village of Stewarton in Kirkcolm parish (Groome notes that the parish is sometimes called Stewarton), its site is now unknown. There is testimony, from two independent sources, that Corswall house was wholly ruinous in 1684, and that there was no such place as Stewarton in the parish at that time. The burgh must be written off as never having existed other than on paper.

Parish Lists of Wigtownshire 1923; G S Pryde 1952.

In 1623 the barony of Corsewall was confirmed on Alexander, Lord Stewart of Garlies, and by the same charter a burgh of barony was erected, to be called Stewarton. Although the precise location of this burgh is unknown, the village of Kirkcolm (NX 030 687) was 'sometimes called Stewarton'.

F H Groome 1901; G S Pryde 1951; G S Pryde 1965; RCAHMS 1985.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions