Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Ayton Castle

Country House (19th Century), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Ayton Castle

Classification Country House (19th Century), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Ayton Castle Policies; Huildie's Tower; Wall Tower; Eye Water

Canmore ID 60254

Site Number NT96SW 62

NGR NT 92895 61379

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/60254

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Ayton
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Berwickshire
  • Former County Berwickshire

Archaeology Notes

NT96SW 62.00 92895 61379

(NT 9288 6137) Ayton Castle (NAT)

OS 6" map, (1970).

NT96SW 62.01 NT 92930 61625 North Lodge

NT96SW 62.02 NT 92954 61558 Farmsteading (Stable Courtyard)

NT96SW 62.03 NT 92687 61152 Walled Garden

NT96SW 62.04 NT 93023 61455 Dovecot

NT96SW 62.05 NT 92590 60910 South Lodge (Also known as West Lodge)

NT96SW 62.06 NT 92679 61202 Summer House

NT96SW 62.07 NT 93098 61786 Ayton Kennels

NT96SW 62.08 NT 92774 61811 Huldies Cottage

See also:

NT96SW 54 NT 93234 61376 St Abb's Well

NT96SW 67 NT c. 928 613 Huildie's [Huldie's] Tower [Old Ayton Castle]

NT96SW 112.00 NT 93463 62106 Ayton Mains (Farmhouse and steading)

NT96SW 112.01 NT 93391 62174 Ayton Mains, 1 Farm Cottages

NT96SW 112.04 NT 93402 62171 Ayton Mains, 2 Farm Cottages

NT96SW 112.05 NT 93412 62167 Ayton Mains, 3 Farm Cottages

NT96SW 112.06 NT 93419 62166 Ayton Mains, 4 Farm Cottages

NT96SW 365 NT 93829 61656 Hillburn, Milestone

The original Ayton Castle appears to have been erected by a Norman called De Vescie (New Statistical Account, [NSA, G Tough] 1845). Having been destroyed by the English in 1448, it was considered to be one of the best fortalices between Berwick and Edinburgh when it was again taken by the English under the Earl of Surrey in 1498, after a siege.

A Thomson 1908.

The present Ayton Castle is a good example of a Scottish Baronial mansion by James Gillespie Graham, built in 1851.

Its predecessor, a classical mansion, was destroyed by fire in 1834.

SDD undated.

Photographed by the RCAHMS in 1980.

RCAHMS AP catalogue 1980.

Visible on vertical air phtographs (OS 65/100/119, 75/029/014-15)

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), March 1990.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architects: James Gillespie Graham. Contract signed for building of new house 1845.

A model of this house is at Ayton Castle.

David Bryce - additions and alterations 1860-61

James Maitland Wardrop - additions and alterations 1864/67

Robert Adam 1791 - Design for lodge and gates.

N.M.R.S. Photocopy of photographs & notes on redecoration of the dining room

in December 1982.

Activities

Photographic Survey (1956)

Photographic survey of Ayton Castle, Berwickshire, by the Scottish National Buildings in 1956.

Photographic Survey (June 1961)

Photographic survey of Ayton Castle and dovecot, Berwickshire, by the Scottish National Buildings in June 1961.

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions