Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edrington Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Edrington Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Canmore ID 60136

Site Number NT95SW 5

NGR NT 9404 5339

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/60136

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Mordington
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Berwickshire
  • Former County Berwickshire

Archaeology Notes

NT95SW 5 9404 5339

(NT 9404 5339) Edrington Castle (NR) (Remains of).

OS 6"map, (1957).

See also NT95SW 119.

Only a fragment of Edrington Castle remains, adjoining and incorporated in farm buildings [NT95SW 119]. McGibbon states that its period is uncertain, it was 4 storeys in height and was an important place in the Border wars. According to Carr, it was destroyed by Gloucester in 1482, but was soon rebuilt, and re-taken in 1518 by the Homes of Wedderburn. In 1534 Henry VIII restored it to James V. There is a 20-30' deep well cut in the solid rock at the base of the cliff on which the castle stood.

RCAHMS 1915, visited 1908; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892; A A Carr 1836.

The castle has been much destroyed. A modern dwelling house now obtrudes into what was once the W.wall, and a pig-pen has been built along the entire length of the E wall.

Visited by OS (JLD) 13 January 1955.

As described by OS field surveyor (JLD).

Visited by OS (WDJ) 11 August 1970.

Listed.

RCAHMS 1980.

Activities

Field Visit (22 October 1908)

269. Edrington Castle.

This castle is situated about 3 ½ miles west of Berwick, on a rocky bank above the Whitadder. A mere fragment remains, adjoining, and incorporated in, the farm buildings. Cut in the solid rock at the base of the cliff on which the castle stood is a well 20 to 30 feet deep.

See Carr's Coldingham, p. 156; Cast. and Dom. Arch., iv. p. 391.

RCAHMS 1915, visited 22nd October 1908.

OS Map: Ber., xviii. SW.

Sbc Note

Visibility: Upstanding building, which may not be intact.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions