Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Ninewells House

Country House (19th Century)

Site Name Ninewells House

Classification Country House (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Ninewells House Policies

Canmore ID 59681

Site Number NT85NE 49

NGR NT 86384 55766

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/59681

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Chirnside
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Berwickshire
  • Former County Berwickshire

Architecture Notes

NT85NE 49.00 86384 55766

NT85NE 49.01 NT 86688 55446 South Lodge

NT85NE 49.02 Centred NT 86664 55548 Walled garden and Garden Cottage

NT85NE 49.03 NT 86197 55764 Farmsteading

NT85NE 49.04 NT 86467 56042 North Gate-Lodge

NT85NE 49.05 Centred NT 8629 5575 Prisoner-of-war camp

For Ninewells Dovecot (in grounds of Auburn House, Chirnside), see NT85NE 21.

Location formerly entered as NT 86396 55747.

NMRS REFERENCE

Architect: William Burn, 1839.

Robert Adam, 1790: design for a house.

House demolished 1964.

Ninewells house, walled garden and S Lodge are visible on large scale vertical air photographs (OS 70/366/045, flown 1970).

(Undated) information in NMRS.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

SCOTTISH DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT

Ninewells; built 1839. Is the successor of the ancestral home of David Hume (1711-76).

(Undated) information from SDD.

Ninewells House is depicted on the OS 2nd Edition map (Berwickshire, sheet XVII, 1898). It was demolished in 1964.

Information from RCAHMS (HMLB), July 2002.

'...the... home... of... David Hume... rebuilt by William Burn, 1839-41, in a handsome Tudor style, but demolished in 1954.'

K [C H] Cruft, J [G] Dunbar and R Fawcett 2006.

Activities

Construction (1839)

Architect William Burn. Measured drawings from 1839.

Photographic Survey (January 1964)

Photographs of Ninewells House, Berwickshire, taken during demolition, by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1964.

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions