Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Ladykirk House

Country House (18th Century)

Site Name Ladykirk House

Classification Country House (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) New Ladykirk House; Ladykirk House Policies

Canmore ID 59526

Site Number NT84NE 19

NGR NT 88550 45690

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/59526

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Ladykirk
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Berwickshire
  • Former County Berwickshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

The name 'Ladykirk House' is today given to a twentieth-century house which lies in an area once occupied by the formal gardens associated with an earlier house of the same name. The original Ladykirk House was an eighteenth-century mansion, which was demolished in the 1960s.

The original Ladykirk House was built in 1797, to a design by the architect William Elliot, and it resembled Dundas House, which still stands in St Andrews Square, Edinburgh. It consisted of a central main block with adjoining symmetrical wings, and was built in the Classical style, with a central pediment and a parapet balustrade. Additions and alterations were undertaken in 1845 by William Burn.

Ladykirk estate was owned by the Robertson family in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. The initials of one of the Robertsons, 'W R', were carved into the datestone that was once incorporated into the fabric of Ladykirk House.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

Archaeology Notes

NT84NE 19.00 88550 45690 (New House)

For Ladykirk House (old) and dairy see NT84NE 19.08

NT84NE 19.01 NT 88518 46096 Riding School

NT84NE 19.02 NT 88428 46369 Farmsteading (Home farm)

NT84NE 19.03 NT 87472 45457 West Lodge

NT84NE 19.04 NT 88497 46320 North Lodge

NT84NE 19.05 NT 88934 46508 East Lodge

NT84NE 19.06 NT 88687 46369 Hemmel

NT84NE 19.07 NT 88415 45625 Mausoleum

NT84NE 19.08 NT 88746 45854 Country House; Dairy [Old Ladykirk House]

NT84NE 19.09 NT 88408 45658 Gardener's House

NT84NE 19.10 NT 89183 45794 Ice-house

NT84NE 19.11 Cancelled (see 19.01)

NT84NE 19.12 NT 89071 46380 Plantation Bank

NT84NE 19.13 NT 88742 46466 Smithy

NT84NE 19.14 NT 88641 46414 Post Office; House

NT84NE 19.15 NT 88348 45996 Plantation Bank

See also:

NT84NE 16 NT 885 458 Barrow

NT84NE 30 NT 888 460 Barrow

NT84NE 32 NT 8866 4593 (Folly) mound

NT84NE 75 NT 88119 45025 Hamilton House

NT84NE 76 NT 88109 45046 The Schoolhouse

NT84NE 77 NT 88132 45054 Sunnyside

NT84NE 80 NT 86870 45286 Ladykirk Shiels (Farmsteading)

NT84NE 81 NT 88752 45627 Roughstone Quarry

NT84NE 82 NT 88495 45554 Mill Quarry

(NT 8855 4569) Ladykirk House (NAT)

OS 1:10,000 map, (1980).

Ladykirk House NT 8871 4593 (old): Dated 1797 with initials WR. Originally consisted of a central block with symmetrical wings.

Attributed to Sir Robert Smirke.

SDD undated.

Ladykirk House was demolished in 1966, the name is now used for house at NT 8855 4570.

Information from D R Easton (RCAHMS) 7 April 1991.

Photographed by CUCAP and by RCAHMS.(Visible on air photographs JV 50-2) CUCAP AP catalogue and RCAHMS AP catalogue 1980.

Architecture Notes

NT84NE 19.00 88550 45690 (New House)

For Ladykirk House (old) and dairy see NT84NE 19.08

NT84NE 19.01 88523 46073 Stables

NT84NE 19.02 88428 46369 Farmsteading

NT84NE 19.03 87472 45457 West Lodge

NT84NE 19.04 88497 46320 North Lodge

NT84NE 19.05 88934 46508 East Lodge

NT84NE 19.06 88687 46369 Hemmel

NT84NE 19.07 c. 884 456 Mausoleum

NT84NE 19.08 88746 45854 Country house (old); dairy

NT84NE 19.09 88408 45658 Gardener's house

NT84NE 19.10 89183 45794 Icehouse

NT84NE 19.11 Cancelled

NMRS REFERENCE

Owner: Major Askew.

Architect (old house): William Elliot 1797

William Burn 1845 (alterations and additions).

Sir Robert Smirke (?)

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

SCOTTISH RECORD OFFICE

Account of sums expended on the stables.

Architect: George Tattersall.

Masons: Balmer, Smith and Stirling, Smith and Dods, Waddell.

Plasterer: James Johnstone.

£9,072 14s. 4d.

GD413/20 1844-52

Offer to execute mason work of the stables according to plans and specifications.

Mason: Richard Balmer.

Letter. £1,763.

GD413/19 19 April 1845

Account of sums paid for buildings at Ladykirk. They include the mansionhouse, dairy and conservatory. Architects: William Burn [1789-1870] and David Bryce [1803-76].

Masons: Walter Waddell and John Oliver.

Plasterers: Annan and Son.

Marble Work: David Ness.

Conservatory pavement: Minton and Company.

£16, 195.

GD413/20 1844-53

Estimate from Walter Waddell for the new work. 'Schedule of Prices at which the works required for the additions and alterations at Ladykirk Mansionhouse are to be executed and at plain measurements by James Cunningham.'

GD413/19 1844

Estimate for carpenter and joiner work for a gardener's house.

Adam Young to James Cunningham.

Letter. £111 9s. 0d.

GD413/19 19 June 1845

[Adam] Young's estimate for oakwork in the Library.

It includes enriched cornices, a marble chimneypiece and hearth and the finishing and fitting up of the billiard room.

£238 2s. 10d.

GD413/19 1844

Measurement from plans of the proposed alterations and additions to the mansionhouse.

Measurer: Andrew Gibson.

GD413/19 1845

Estimates and accounts for work and materials for the alterations and additions to the mansionhouse, and building the stables and conservatory.

Mason: Richard Balmer.

Builder: John Oliver.

Carpenter and joiner: James Hill.

Carpenter and joiner: Adam Young.

Glazier: Baxter.

Ironwork (for stables): Shotts Iron Company.

GD413/19 1845-47

Building additions and improvements at the mansionhouse.

Contractors: Messrs Waddell, Oliver and Company.

Receipt: £2,453 7s. 6d.

GD413/19 1846

Estimate from James Hill for carpenter and joiner work of billiard room, business room, library and lobbies in the mansionhouse.

Letter. £705.

GD413/19 9 September 1846

Conservatory plans sent so that items may be ordered. David Bryce [1803-76], Architect, has sent the plan with the pattern of tesselated pavement to William Burn so that the paving may be obtained from Minton. A working plan has been sent to Mr Robertson who will order the stone shelves.

Mr Bryce will send a drawing of the stone seat and the pits next week. Letter.

GD413/23 6 September 1849

Criticism of the plans for the conservatory. Letter from William Burn [1789-1870], Architect, to David Bryce [1803-76], Architect. Mr Burn is critical of the accommodation for plunge pits so he returns the designs and sends a second plan.

GD413/23 10 September 1849

Letter accompanying plan for a conservatory and providing additional information.

William Burn [1789-1870], Architect, to Mr Cunninghame.

GD413/23 22 September 1849

Specification for an ice house.

Unsigned.

GD413/24 1849

Account of sums paid for building the riding school.

Architect: H.S. Ridley, London.

Mason: John Smith.

Plasterwork: John Ramage.

£2,764 5s. 1-1/2d.

GD413/20 1850-53

Abstract of accounts for additional work. Stable offices: estimate and additional work. £2,151 0s. 0d. Mansionhouse and conservatory: amount and additional work. £1,452 16s. 8d.

Carpenter and joiner: James Hill.

GD413/21 1850

Specification of work to be executed to the Dairy [David Bryce, Architect].

GD413/24 1851

Painting and decorating of the mansionhouse.

Painters: Lithgow and Purdie.

Account: £572 11s. 1-1/2d.

GD413/21 1855

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions