Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Ladykirk

Enclosure (Period Unassigned), Motte And Bailey (Medieval), Rig And Furrow (Medieval) - (Post Medieval)

Site Name Ladykirk

Classification Enclosure (Period Unassigned), Motte And Bailey (Medieval), Rig And Furrow (Medieval) - (Post Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Fairfield

Canmore ID 59522

Site Number NT84NE 15

NGR NT 89320 47720

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/59522

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Ladykirk
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Berwickshire
  • Former County Berwickshire

Archaeology Notes

NT84NE 15 NT 89320 47720

(NT 8932 4772) Earthwork (NR)

OS 1:10,000 map, (1980).

This earthwork, which is probably of medieval date, has been severely reduced by ploughing. Formerly it comprised a roughly circular low mound measuring 50m by 44m, which was flanked on the W and NE by a broad ditch and on the SE by steep river cliffs. Around the N and W edges of the summit of the mound there was a low bank, and the entrance lay on the W. RCAHMS 1915; 1980, visited 1979.

A now crescent-shaped mound, 1.2m high, with a summit measurement of 56m by 40m. A broad shallow ditch runs N from the W, fading out on the N.

On the S, the mound falls away down to the river; there are a large number of stones lying on this side. The bank on the W side noted by the RCAHMS is now ploughed out.

Visited by OS(JD) 11 January 1955.

A few years ago an attempt was made by the farmer to level this site and it is now visible as an oval, flat-topped mound measuring 66.0m ENE-WSW by 53.0m transversely with a maximum height of 1.3m. Slight traces of a ditch survive on the W. Numerous dressed stones on the S side suggest that a substantial building (? castle or tower) formerly stood here.

Resurveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS(RD) 6 December 1971.

Photographed by RCAHMS, flown 1977.

Activities

Field Visit (22 October 1908)

192. Fort, Fair Field, Ladykirk.

At the south side of the Fair Field, about ¼ mile east of Ladykirk Church and at the top of the Blount Bank, on the north side of the Tweed, is a circular mound (fig. 93 [DP 225491]) with an elevation at highest of some 8 feet 6 inches and a summit measurement of about 162 feet by 144 feet. On the west, where the ground on the outside is higher, there is a shallow trench, crowning the scarp of which is a low bank about 2 feet high; The entrance has been from the north-east.

RCAHMS 1915, visited 22nd October 1908

OS Map: Ber., xxiii. NE. and xxiv. NW.

Sbc Note (21 March 2016)

Visibility: This was the site of an archaeological monument, which may no longer be visible.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions