Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dunglass House

Castle (Medieval), Country House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dunglass House

Classification Castle (Medieval), Country House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Dunglass Castle; Dunglass House Policies

Canmore ID 58908

Site Number NT77SE 7

NGR NT 7664 7178

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/58908

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Oldhamstocks (East Lothian)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT77SE 7.00 7664 7178

NT77SE 7.01 76716 71916 Sundial

NT77SE 7.02 76589 71913 Stables

NT77SE 7.03 7632 7215 Estate office

NT77SE 7.04 76352 71728 Gazebo

NT77SE 7.05 76345 72469 Farm Lodge

NT77SE 7.06 76949 72105 East lodge with gate piers and quadrant wall

NT77SE 7.07 76272 72584 West lodge with gate piers

NT77SE 7.08 76235 72071 Walled garden

NT77SE 7.09 76174 72137 Old gardener's house

NT77SE 7.10 76321 72159 Gardener's house

NT77SE 7.11 76347 72219 Farm dairy

NT77SE 7.12 76236 72105 Hot houses

NT77SE 7.13 76237 72109 Garden service buildings

For Dunglass Collegiate Church (NT 7664 7189), see NT77SE 4.

(NT 7663 7181) Dunglass on site of Dunglass Castle (NR)

OS 6" map (1959)

EXTERNAL REFERENCES

Dunglass mansion, built c.1800, stands on the site of the 14th century Castle of Dunglass, a stronghold of the Earls of Home. It was destroyed by Somerset in 1548, but had been rebuilt by 1603.

J Small 1883

NT 7664 7178. No trace of Dunglass Castle remains. The mansion built c. 1800 has been completely demolished and a modern (1961) house, still known as 'Dunglass', has been erected on the site.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 4 April 1966

An Inventory of Gardens and Deigned landscapes in Scotland, Vol 5, 82-87.

Site recorded by GUARD during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife' 1996.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

ARCHITECT: Richard Crichton 1807

Alexander Naysmith designs for new house for Sir James Hall.

This Category C Listed building was gutted in 1947 and demolished in late 1950s. Information from Demolitions catalogue held in RCAHMS library.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

National Library:

Small's 'Castles and Mansions of the Lothians'

Sketches of Scottish Scenery, 7, 8, 9 & 11

S.N.P.G.:

Country Life, Sept. 12th 1925

Scottish Record Office:

Building the new house of Dunglass.

Day Book in which is recorded the wrights' time and wages and a statement of account amounting to #1, 796.16.7 between Mr John Bell and Andrew Wilson at Dunglass.

1807-1811 GD 206/5/107

Building the new house of Dunglass.

Day Book in which is recorded the time and wages of masons, quarryment and labourers.

1807-1811 GD 206/5/108

In 1806 the cost of building the house was estimated at #18, 583.18.0. Sir James Hall [1761-1832] obtained no contract and by 1811 when the house was finished, the expense amounted to #36, 402.

Memo written by Lady Hall.

1832 GD 206/2/160

Architect [Richard Crichton] [c.1771-1817]

Building materials supplied. Account amounting to #190.9.1. Receipted by J. J. and T. Kirkwood, Dunbar.

1852 GD 206/3/5

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

National Gallery of Scotland:

Alexander Naysmyth 2 drawings of designs

EXTERNAL REFERNCE:

Scottish Record Office:

R.H.P. 6075 mid 16th century Belvioir MS photostat copies of plans

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions