Abbey St Bathans Church
Church, Nunnery, War Memorial (20th Century)
Site Name Abbey St Bathans Church
Alternative Name(s) Abbey St Bathan's Kirk; St Bathan's Church; St Bathan's Convent: War Memorial Plaque
Canmore ID 58780
Site Number NT76SE 9
NGR NT 75852 62281
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
- Council Scottish Borders, The
- Parish Abbey St Bathans
- Former Region Borders
- Former District Berwickshire
- Former County Berwickshire
NT76SE 9.00 75852 62281
NT76SE 9.01 75863 62266 Churchyard
(NT 75852 62281) St Bathan's Church (NAT).
(NT 7586 6233) St Bathan's Convent (NR) (Site of).
OS 6" map, Berwickshire, 2nd ed.,(1908).
The parish church of Abbey St Bathans incorporates, in the east and north walls, late 14th century remains of the Church of the Priory of St Mary - a Cistercian nunnery founded in the late 12th or early 13th centuries (exact date unknown) and secularised in 1622.
The Priory church measured 58ft by 26ft but was contracted, about the end of the 18th century, by moving the west wall further east. Foundations have been observed to the east of the church and for a considerable distance to the west.
RCAHMS 1915; D E Easson 1957; New Statistical Account (NSA, J Wallace 1834), 1845.
St Bathan's Church is still in use for public worship: no foundations were seen and no further information was obtained locally.
Visited by OS(EGC) 9 May 1966.
The National Library of Scotland contains among the 'Uncatelogued MSS of General Hutton and numbered 32 in Vol 11 a sketch of what is called St Bathan's Nunnery, the SE view and dated 1788. The ruins of the old church are situated on the Whiteadder Water about 6 miles nearly due S of Cockburnspath. It is said that no relics remain of the Priory for Cistercian Nuns founded at Abbey St Bathams in the XII century.
Project (February 2014 - July 2014)
A data upgrade project to record war memorials.
Note (23 July 2015)
Within the church there is a bronze plaque set in a marble mount with four names inscribed who fell in the First World War.
The iscription reads 'To the glorious memory of those of this Parish who fell in the Great War 1914-1919. Their Name liveth for evermore'
Second Lieutenant James Lawson, Private Ralph Dodds, Private William Yule, Private James Yule.
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 23 July 2015
Visibility: Visibility: Upstanding building, which may not be intact.
Information from Scottish Borders Council