Duns, Market Square, Town Hall
Tolbooth (Period Unassigned), Town Hall (19-20th Century)
- Council Scottish Borders, The
- Parish Duns
- Former Region Borders
- Former District Berwickshire
- Former County Berwickshire
NT75SE 30 7853 5389.
(NT 7853 5389) The first tolbooth in duns was erected in 1328. A second building was built in 1680. This building was so severely damaged by fire in 1795 that it had to be taken down. The third and last building was erected in 1816, and demolished in living memory.
W Renton 1978.
Duns Town Hall which was a Category B Listed building was demolished in 1966.
ARCHITECT: James Gillespie Graham 1816
National Library of Scotland
'Scots Magazine' July 1816 - 1 engraving
Photographic Survey (1962)
Photographic survey of buildings in Duns, Berwickshire, by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1962.
Publication Account (1981)
The town hall, which dominates .the market square was built in 1816 in a Gothic style (Anon, n.d.,28).
Information from ‘Historic Duns: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1981).
Visibility: This was the site of an archaeological monument, which may no longer be visible.
Information from Scottish Borders Council