Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Nisbet House

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Nisbet House

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Nisbet Estate; West Nisbet

Canmore ID 58630

Site Number NT75SE 10

NGR NT 79501 51232

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/58630

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images


First 100 images shown. See the Collections panel (below) for a link to all digital images.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Edrom
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Berwickshire
  • Former County Berwickshire

Archaeology Notes

NT75SE 10.00 79501 51232

NT75SE 10.01 79530 51245 Stable and Coach House, SW Range

NT75SE 10.02 79398 50916 Bridge over Canal

NT75SE 10.03 79528 51257 Stable and Coach House, NW Range

NT75SE 10.04 79565 51263 Stable and Coach House, East Range

NT75SE 10.05 79695 51226 Walled Garden

NT75SE 10.06 79452 51245 Vault

NT75SE 54 79653 50617 Nisbet Dovecot

NT75SE 74 79742 51324 Nisbet Cottage

(NT 79501 51232) Nisbet House (NR)

OS 6" map, (1957).

Nisbet House was built in the reign of Charles I (A Nisbet 1816) and it is said that the old castle, defended by a moat, was taken down to make room for it. The older part of the house is oblong, measuring some 63ft by 21ft within walls averaging 3ft 6ins in thickness (see RCAHMS plan, fig.81). The addition, dated 1774, consists of a rectangular west wing in the form of a tower measuring some 38ft by 30ft overall.

RCAHMS 1915, visited 1913; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892.

Nisbet House (name confirmed by the Caretaker, Nisbet House) is in poor condition although renovations are being carried out. There is no trace of the old castle although the ha-ha between the drive and the lawn may be the remaining evidence of the moat. The family of Carre succeeded the Nisbets (Information from the Caretaker, Nisbet House) and in the burial vault to the NW (at NT 7945 5123) there is a grave slab dated 1667 to John Carre of West Nisbet.

Visited by OS (CJP) 25 June 1956.

Nisbet House is as described and appears to be in good condition. There is no trace of the moat.

Visited by OS (JP) 11 December 1970.

Although not built until about 1630, this large mansion has the most spectacular array of splayed shot-holes in the Borders: they are liberally distributed at every level from the basement to the wall-head.

A M T Maxwell-Irving 1974.

RCAHMS 1980, visited 1979.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Owner: Lord Brocket

17c., with early 10c. additions. 19c additions removed, 1956.

Inventory of Kimmerghame Drawings - typescript (R6(P27))

Ferguson Sketch book No. 10 - 18 pages of pencil drawings. Held in Printroom.

EXTERNAL REFERENCES:

National Library.

Plan for the improvement of Nisbet the seat

of Miss Carr. T. White 1784. MS5460(1) - plan showing planting scheme.

Scottish Record Office.

View of [Nisbet House] [North Front].

Sketch signed by H D Scott shows the old and new part of the house.

1808 GD 157/1992

Activities

Photographic Survey (1956)

Five photographs of Nisbet House, Berwickshire, by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1956.

Sbc Note

Visibility: This was the site of an archaeological monument, which may no longer be visible.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions