Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Preston, Market Cross

Market Cross (17th Century)

Site Name Preston, Market Cross

Classification Market Cross (17th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Preston Cottages; Preston Market Cross

Canmore ID 58617

Site Number NT75NE 8

NGR NT 79373 57319

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/58617

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Bunkle And Preston
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Berwickshire
  • Former County Berwickshire

Archaeology Notes

NT75NE 8 79373 57319

(NT 7937 5731) Cross (NR)

OS 6" map, (1957).

The remains of the market cross at Preston consist of a rectangular shaft of sandstone about 5' high, set on a modern base.

RCAHMS 1915, visited 1908.

A broken rectangular shaft inserted in a modern pedestal as described above.

Resurveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (RD) 12 August 1970.

Scheduled as Preston Market Cross, 35m ESE of 1 Preston Cottages... the remains of a market cross thought to date to the early 17th century.

Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 23 September 2009.

Cross

(remains of) [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, October 2009.

Activities

Field Visit (9 October 1908)

24. Market Cross, Preston.

The remains of the Cross at Preston consist of a rectangular shaft of sandstone about 5 feet high set on a modern base. It is illustrated in Small’s Crosses, pl. 84.

RCAHMS 1915, visited 9 October 1908.

OS Map: Ber., x. SE.

Sbc Note

Visibility: Upstanding structure, which may not be intact.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

Sbc Note

Broken shaft stands on modern pedestal.

AM Warden Report 14/05/86: Cross is set back from the road in a small recess which is walled. The broken shaft is 1.1m high, 0.3m wide and 0.17m deep, standimg on a modern pedestal. Scheduled area is bounded by the A6112 to the S and grassland to the N.

AM Warden Report 19/05/93: The cross used to be situated in the middle of the road, but was moved over 40 years ago. Now stands in a recess, fronted by the pavement, a stone dyke is behind the stone.

2/10/09--HS entry in the SM register amended on 23/9/09

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions