Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Coilreaney

Field System (Period Unassigned), Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Coilreaney

Classification Field System (Period Unassigned), Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 5822

Site Number NC70NE 25

NGR NC 785 090

NGR Description centred on NC 785 090

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/5822

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Clyne
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC70NE 25 centred on 785 090.

Under the name Kylvrannie, this tenancy was still rented in 1815, but by 1872 only the footings of the buildings remained.

Name Book 1872; R J Adam 1972.

Area NC 785 090. Coilreaney. A large scattered area of depopulation lying to the SE of the junction of the River Brora and the Allt an Tuirc. Within the area are the footings and remains of fourteen rectangular buildings with associated enclosures and four kilns. The buildings vary in size from 31.0m by 4.0m to 6.5m by 3.7m with walls up to 1.7m in height.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 30 April 1964.

A township comprising fourteen unroofed buildings, nine enclosures and a field-system and head-dykes is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1879, sheet xcvii). Thirteen unroofed buildings, eleven enclosures and a field-system and head-dykes are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,000 map (1970).

Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 1 November 1995

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions