Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Witches' Stone, Spott

Standing Stone (Prehistoric), Witch Association (17th Century)

Site Name Witches' Stone, Spott

Classification Standing Stone (Prehistoric), Witch Association (17th Century)

Canmore ID 57667

Site Number NT67NE 62

NGR NT 6691 7520

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/57667

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Spott (East Lothian)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT67NE 62 6691 7520.

(NT 6691 7520) Witches' Stone (NR) (Site of).

OS 6" map (1957)

The Witch's Stone" is a rough block of stone about 22 ins each way, lying at the root of a hedge and, at the time of the visit by the RCAHMS in 1913, almost covered with road scrapings. Spott was notorious for its witches in the 17th and early 18th centuries and, according to the RCAHMS this stone is placed near the spot where Marion Lillie, the Ringwoodie Witch, was burnt about 1698.

The only stone mentioned by the New Statistical Account [NSA] is that 'to be seen a little way to the east of the manse' which was supposed to mark the place where 'the last witch executed in Scotland' was burnt.

RCAHMS 1924; NSA 1845 (R B Thomson)

The stone, as described by the RCAHMS, has been uncovered at NT 6690 7519, and is now enclosed by an iron fence on which there is a plaque: the spelling is 'Witches' Stone'.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (RD) 25 March 1966

Activities

Field Visit (25 June 1913)

A rough block of stone about 22 inches across both ways but almost entirely covered with road scrapings, lies at the root of the hedge on the southern side of the road some 3/8 mile south-west of Spott Church and 90 yards north-east of the junction of the road to. Little Spott. This stone is placed near the spot where Marion Lillie the Ringwoodie Witch was burnt. At the western corner of the junction of the road to Little Spott stands the Birley Tree, an ash tree, 12 feet 4 inches in girth 6 feet from the ground, which marks the place where the Birley Courts were held in olden days.

RCAHMS 1924, visited 25 June 1913.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions