Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Westruther Parish Church

Church (19th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Westruther Parish Church

Classification Church (19th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Old Bassendean: War Memorial Plaques And Roll Of Honour

Canmore ID 57333

Site Number NT64NW 35

NGR NT 63434 49996

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/57333

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Westruther
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Berwickshire
  • Former County Berwickshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

The church lies in the small village of Westruther. Built around 1838, the church replaced the nearby Old Kirk, which was converted into a burial vault.

The church is rectangular on plan, and is of simple neo-Gothic style. The entrance is in the west gable and is surmounted by a triple light window and, originally, a belfry, of which only the corbelled base remains. It was removed in the 1960s for structural reasons.

The original pews have been retained within the church. Narrow, with the backs at right angles to the seats, the pews are said to feel as uncomfortable as they look.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

Archaeology Notes

NT64NW 35 63434 49996

NT65SW 3 63425 50059 Old Parish Church and Burial Ground

This church remains in ecclesiastical use.

Visited by RCAHMS (RJCM/JRS) 30 September 1993.

Activities

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions