Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Roxburgh Junction Station

Railway Station (19th Century)

Site Name Roxburgh Junction Station

Classification Railway Station (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Roxburgh Junction

Canmore ID 57205

Site Number NT63SE 23

NGR NT 69753 30554

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/57205

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Roxburgh
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

Roxburgh Station provided an intermediate stop on the branch line which ran from St. Boswells to Kelso. Opened by the North British Railway in June, 1850, this was the first branch line to be built after the opening of the Hawick line in 1849. Its eastern terminus at Kelso lay only a short distance from the western terminus of the line from Tweedmouth and ultimately provided a cross-country link with the Tweed Valley towns.

The two-storeyed building, which is all that remains of Roxburgh station, once formed the main offices, and is now in use as a private residence.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

Archaeology Notes

NT63SE 23 6970 3065

For adjacent (to E) bridges (NT 6975 3049 to NT 6977 2053), see NT63SE 40.

See also NT63SE 40 and NT73SW 63.

Roxburgh Station: this intermediate station on the St Boswells - Sprouston Junction line of the former North British Rly was opened by that company on 17 June 1850. It was also the junction station for the branch line to Jedburgh, but was apparently never formally named Roxburgh Junction Station, although sometimes known as such. The station closed to regular passenger traffic (with the St Boswells - Sprouston Junction - Tweedmouth line) on 15 June 1964.

Information from RCHAMS (RJCM), 31 January 2006.

G Daniels and L Dench 1980; R V J Butt 1995.

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: Standing structure or monument.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions