Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Monteviot House

Country House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Monteviot House

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Monteviot House Policies

Canmore ID 57135

Site Number NT62SW 54

NGR NT 64891 24689

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Crailing
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Architecture Notes

NT62SW 54 64891 247689

NT62SW 54.01 64769 24786 Coach house and stables block

NT62SW 54.02 64880 24675 Formal garden

NT62SW 54.03 64780 24620 Walled garden

NT62SW 54.04 64310 24970 Nursery or kitchen garden

See also:

NT62SE 152 66042 24095 Lodge

NT62SE 9 65299 24572 Dovecot


Owner: The Marquess of Lothian.

Architect: W. Schomberg Scott, 1963: remodelling of old house.

Schomberg Scott album: 3 photographs of the saloon, 1 further photograph reproduced in 'Hawick News' (A.O. Barker).



Work done at Monteviot Lodge. Receipt for £100.

GD 40/not indexed 1743

Alterations to Monteviot House. A letter from Sir Herbert Baker, architect. It had accompanied a sketch of the proposed alterations. Apparently the drawing showed 'the old low part and the billiard room removed'.

GD 40/17/255/page 24 1931

Alterations to Monteviot House. According to a letter from the Marquis of Lothian the alterations include a new staircase.

GD 40/17/381/page 296 1939

Delay with alterations to Monteviot House. Mr Phipps, architect is having difficulty carrying out the plans.

GD 40/17/398/page 43 1939

Letters concerning completion of alterations. Note of expenditure amounts to £12,628.2.7. Paul Phipps has continued as architect.

GD 40/17/398/pages 59, 63 1939

Completion of alterations to Monteviot House. Letters concerning the work. A note of the expenditure gives the total as £12,628.2.7.

Architect: Paul Phipps.

GD 40/17/398/pages 59, 63

Alterations to Monteviot House. Proposal to make the old chapel available for the hospital. It is suggested that the stained glass should be removed.

GD 40/17/398/page 89 1940

Alterations to Monteviot House. The house is to be adapted as a hospital and a flat kept for the owner. This involved changes and putting in of a temporary stair.

Letters between Paul Phipps, architect, and Lord Lothian.

GD 40/17/403/490-506 1939


Modification (1961 - 1963)

Interior remodelled by Schomberg Scott, including the addition of The Great Hall.

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions