Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Jedburgh, Castlegate, Jedburgh Castle Jail

Castle (Medieval), Jail (19th Century)

Site Name Jedburgh, Castlegate, Jedburgh Castle Jail

Classification Castle (Medieval), Jail (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Old Bongate; Gaol

Canmore ID 57114

Site Number NT62SW 35

NGR NT 64761 20184

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/57114

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Jedburgh
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Archaeology Notes

NT62SW 35 6476 2018.

(Centred NT 64762018) Old Jail on Site of Jedburgh Castle (GT)

OS 6"map, (1938).

By the middle of the 12th century Jedburgh possessed a castle which stood on the high ground at what is now the head of Castlegate. This castle was frequently in English keeping, and from the English records it appears that in the year 1335-6 it consisted of a great tower and a lesser one, situated on either side of a pele, the entry to which, like the main gate, was protected by a barras. It was continuously in English hands after Neville's Cross, and was demolished in 1409. The last vestiges of the castle were removed in 1823 to make way for the jail.

RCAHMS 1956.

The old jail buildings and yards are now used by the County Council Highways Dept. No further information was obtained concerning the castle.

Visited by OS(EGC) 7 January 1963.

Architecture Notes

Non-Guardianship Sites Plan Collection, DC28032.

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: Archibald Elliot 1820-1823

Mr Gillespie - Builder

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

National Library - Second report of the Inspectors of Prison 1837

Edinburgh Public Library - 'The Annals of Jedburgh Castle' by George Watson

Hawick Arch. Society May 20th, 1902 - text

Activities

Online Gallery (1306 - 1329)

The year 2014 sees the 700th anniversary of the Battle of Bannockburn, in which the army of Robert I of Scotland defeated that of Edward II of England. The battle marked a major turning point in the long, drawn-out struggle of the Wars of Independence.

The Wars have had a lasting influence upon all the nations of the United Kingdom and upon the national story. Each age has seen fit to commemorate the events in its own way: through the perpetuation of the genuine historical associations of buildings and places and also through the endowment of others with improbable or fanciful traditions. Where past generations allowed its historic buildings to decay and disappear, later generations began to value and actively preserve these for their associations. Where an event lacked a tangible reminder, as at Kinghorn where Alexander III was killed in a riding accident, a commemorative monument would be erected to act as a focus. The Wars of Independence predate the fashion for accurate portraiture: the weathered, generic military effigy of Sir James Douglas is one of the few to survive in Scotland. Later centuries saw a need and supplied it by a crowd of images of its historic heroes, William Wallace and Robert the Bruce, each depicted according to contemporary taste and imagination. The opening of the new heritage centre at Bannockburn takes this into a new dimension, through the use of three-dimensional, digital technology.

RCAHMS Collections hold many images of these buildings and locations from battlefields, castles and churches, to the many commemorative monuments erected in later years. This gallery highlights a selection of these, including antiquarian sketches, photographic and drawn surveys, and architectural designs.

Photographic Survey (September 1964)

Photographic survey of Jedburgh Castle Jail, Roxburghshire, by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1964. It was part of a wider survey of buildings in Jedburgh.

Photographic Survey (1964)

Photographic survey of buildings in Jedburgh, Roxburghshire, by the Scottish National Buildings Record/Ministry of Work in 1964.

Aerial Photography (1968)

Oblique aerial photographs of Jedburgh Abbey and Jedburgh Castle Jail taken by John Dewar in 1968.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions