Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Jedburgh, Queen Street, Queen Mary's House

Bastle (Medieval)

Site Name Jedburgh, Queen Street, Queen Mary's House

Classification Bastle (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Jedburgh Museum

Canmore ID 57038

Site Number NT62SE 29

NGR NT 65162 20674

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/57038

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Jedburgh
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Archaeology Notes

NT62SE 29.00 65162 20674

NT62SE 29.01 NT 6516 2067 Perforated Stone

(NT 6516 2067) Queen Mary's House (NR)

OS 25"map, (1921).

This fine example of a late 16th century bastel house is three storeys in height; on plan it includes an oblong main block with a rectangular stair-tower projecting 14 feet eastwards near the centre of its east side. It is clear that another structure was originally attached to its south gable, and there is some evidence to suggest that a tenement has also abutted on the corresponding gable to the north. While it is obvious that 'Queen Mary's House' has been very considerably altered, its plan indicates that it was not built before the last quarter of the 16th century.

It was once the temporary residence of Mary, Queen of Scots. (J Small 1881).

RCAHMS 1956.

After the destruction of Jedburgh Castle (Roxburgh NT19NE 7) in 1409, six houses with the features of the old Border peel towers were built around the town. These were known as 'bastel-houses'. One of these was built in a part of the town known at the time as 'Limmerfield' which is now the site of Queen Mary's House..... The other houses have all disappeared.

J Renilson 1937.

The building is as described and illustrated by RCAHMS 1956. As well as being of historical interest, the building houses a small museum.

Visited by OS(EGC) 7 January 1963.

Architecture Notes

Non-Guardianship Sites Plan Collection, DC28033- DC28042, 1929- 1930.

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions