Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Down Law, Baron's Folly

Folly (18th Century)

Site Name Down Law, Baron's Folly

Classification Folly (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Fairnington; Downlaw

Canmore ID 56982

Site Number NT62NW 22

NGR NT 63719 26797

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Roxburgh
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Site Management (30 September 2009)

Octagonal summerhouse and observatory with piended roof surmounted by iron finial. Gothick pointed window openings on three sides, boarded up. Later wooden door to NE. Random rubble with dark whinstone pinnings and rusticated quoins on window and door openings. Welsh slate roof.

Prominently situated on summit of Down Law within the Fairnington estate. Baron´s Folly was built as a summerhouse and observatory by Baron Robert Rutherford, merchant, into whose hands the estate of Fairnington passed in c.1777. It is described as a summerhouse on John Ainslie´s 'Map of the Southern Part of Scotland´ of 1821 but by 1843 is recorded as 'Baron´s Folly´. It is visible from several miles away from every direction and is an important feature in the landcape. (Historic Scotland)


Photographic Survey (October 1964)

Photographic survey of Baron's Folly, Down Law, Roxburghshire, by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1964

Sbc Note (15 April 2016)

Visibility: Standing structure or monument.

Information from Scottish Borders Council


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions