Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Sydserf House

House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Sydserf House

Classification House (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 56773

Site Number NT58SW 38

NGR NT 54126 81717

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/56773

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish North Berwick
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT58SW 38 5412 8171.

NT 541 817 An evaluation was carried out in June 2004 inside Sydserf House (NT58SW 38) to test for surviving evidence of the footings of a suspected spiral staircase. A line of wall footings, possibly representing the remains of the original northern wall of the house, and a small area of flagstones were revealed. No trace of footings for a spiral stair were discovered.

Archive to be deposited in the NMRS.

Sponsor: Nicholas Groves Raines Architects.

S Mitchell 2004

Activities

Standing Building Recording (28 September 2006 - 10 January 2007)

NT 5412 8171 A programme of archaeological works was required by East Lothian Council at Sydserf, a 17th-century T-plan 2-storey house. The house is being restored and a demolished steading is to be reconstructed; the work was carried out between 28 September 2006 and 10 January 2007 to satisfy a condition of planning consent. The work comprised a detailed scheme of historic building recording, an archaeological evaluation of the area E of the house, and archaeological investigation in the house itself.

The house, a truncated shell with a later roof, has been stylistically dated to the 17th or 18th-centuries by previous authorities. Analysis of the fabric suggests that the 17th-century (or earlier) core has undergone extensive alteration and refurbishment over time, leaving a building with irregular fenestration and a number

of features that are difficult to explain. In broad terms, a 17th century or earlier house was enlarged and formalised during the 18th-century, moving out of use as an important residence around 1800. The site was probably the seat of the Sydserff family from the late 15th- century until around 1700, when this family branch appears to have died out. Later agricultural use resulted in a number of major alterations. Test pits in the building produced evidence for internal partitions and floors, apparently of 19th-century date.

Archive and report to be deposited with RCAHMS. Report deposited with East Lothian SMR.

Funder: Dunglass Ltd.

Archaeological Evaluation (28 September 2006 - 10 January 2007)

NT 5412 8171 A programme of archaeological works was required by East Lothian Council at Sydserf, a 17th-century T-plan 2-storey house. The house is being restored and a demolished steading is to be reconstructed; the work was carried out between 28 September 2006 and 10 January 2007 to satisfy a condition of planning consent. The work comprised a detailed scheme of historic building recording, an archaeological evaluation of the area E of the house, and archaeological investigation in the house itself.

Two phases of archaeological evaluation were undertaken in the proposed development area. Most of this area, to the E of the house, had been disturbed by 20th-century development and no evidence of an earlier, 19th-century steading complex was found.

An area immediately to the S of the house was also evaluated and appeared to be undisturbed, with an intact soil overlying natural subsoil. No archaeological features were identified in the evaluation.

Archive and report to be deposited with RCAHMS. Report deposited with East Lothian SMR

Funder: Dunglass Ltd.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions