Under Bolton Farm
Dovecot (Period Unassigned), Farmstead (Period Unassigned)
- Council East Lothian
- Parish Bolton
- Former Region Lothian
- Former District East Lothian
- Former County East Lothian
NT57SW 55 50695 70054
Dovecot, Bolton: Attached to farm buildings at Bolton there is a cylindrical 18th century (J Whitaker 1938) dovecot with a conical slate roof surmounted by a fine wooden glover. It is 45ft in circumference and 25ft high; the random rubble walls are 1ft 9 ins thick. There are two string courses, one about 12ft up, the other just under the roof. The door is now nailed shut; Whitaker records 710 nests. Pigeons still occupy this dovecot, entering by the glover.
D C Bailey and M C Tindall 1963; C McWilliam 1978
NT 5069 7006. This dovecot is as described.
Visited by OS (BS) 8 July 1975
Standing Building Recording (January 2008 - March 2008)
NT 50695 70054 An evaluation and Level 3 historic building recording were undertaken January–March 2008 prior to the farm’s redevelopment. The steading consists of two cart sheds with associated granaries, two cattle byres, a calf byre, a farm cottage, an ancillary stable, a possible former threshing barn and the remains of an 18th-century dovecot. The steading range dates to the 18th century, with several phases of rebuilding occurring during the 19th century, followed by considerable expansion in the 20th century. It is a typical 19th-century Lothian farm steading and its building history provides a good example of the type of expansion that took place in 18th- and 19th- century farms, in response to the economic growth of the agricultural industry in Lothian during this period.
Archive: RCAHMS (intended)
Funder: NGP Architects
Anya Rardin (AOC Archaeology Group), 2008