Castle (16th Century), House (18th Century)
- Council East Lothian
- Parish Athelstaneford
- Former Region Lothian
- Former District East Lothian
- Former County East Lothian
NT57NW 8 50943 76697
For East Garleton Cottages, see NT57NW 73.
(NT 5098 7676) Garleton Castle (NR) (remains of)
OS 6" map (1968)
Garleton Castle was apparently an oblong enclosure of about a third of an acre containing a house with a small wing at the NE corner and two little lodges set at the western ends of the N and S boundary walls. At least three storeys high, the main block and wing were 50' and 42' long respectively. A circular tower 22' in diameter is salient to the enclosure at the SE angle of the wing. Only the N and E lateral walls of the house remain, indicating the W gable and interior divisions. Three vaulted cellars can be traced. An external forestair at the NE angle is secondary. A feature of the house is the number of gunloops of the splayed type typical of the 16th century (N Tranter 1935).
The SW lodge, now falling into disrepair, is oblong, two storeys high and has two vaulted chambers on the ground. The NW lodge is modern, but appears to be on the site of a building coeval with the SW lodge.
RCAHMS 1924, visited 1913
Garleton Castle is generally as described.
Visited by OS (BS) 16 July 1975
Archaeological Evaluation (September 2013)
NT 50943 76697 An excavation of two test pits in September 2013 confirmed that the ground level around the building has been raised considerably (up to 0.75m) with soil and midden. An examination of the sill height of the door into the eastern chamber indicates that the exterior ground surface for the lodge would have been c300–400mm lower than today. The boundary wall is considered to date to the late 18th or 19th century.
Archive: Connolly Heritage Consultancy
Funder: Wemyss and March Estate
David Connolly, Connolly Heritage Consultancy, 2013
Standing Building Recording (December 2011 - March 2012)
A series of investigations were carried out in the area of the southwest lodge of Garleton Castle, Athelstaneford, East Lothian (RCAHMS site no. NT57NW 8 NGR:NT 50943 76697). This encompassed full building recording, visual inspection, two, 1 m2 test pits and historical research.
These investigations were carried out on behalf of the Wemyss and March Estate prior to a planning application regarding this property.
The work was carried out in order to create a baseline data set regarding the dating, phasing, constructional history and general historical background to the structure.
The main fabric of the structure is dated to the late 16th century and was originally 3 storeys in height, excluding possible attic accommodation. The truncated lodge has then been re-roofed in the late 20th century and previously converted to workers cottages during the late 18th century, with a further two re-modelling events in the late 19th and mid 20th century.
Produced by Connolly Heritage Consultancy.
On behalf of Wemyss and March Estates and the Pollock Hammond Partnership.