Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Athelstaneford, Main Street, Parish Church And War Memorial

Burial Enclosure (18th Century) - (19th Century), Burial Ground (Medieval) - (19th Century), Church (19th Century), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Site Name Athelstaneford, Main Street, Parish Church And War Memorial

Classification Burial Enclosure (18th Century) - (19th Century), Burial Ground (Medieval) - (19th Century), Church (19th Century), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Athelstaneford Parish Kirk; War Memorial; Capt R D Stevenson Memorial Plaque; Archibald Skirling

Canmore ID 56291

Site Number NT57NW 2

NGR NT 53290 77345

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/56291

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Athelstaneford
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT57NW 2 NT 53290 77345

(NT 5329 7735) Remains of Church (12th C) (NR)

OS 6" map (1854)

Church (NR) (site of)

OS 25" map (1906)

A church was built in Athelstaneford in 1176 and continued in use until 1780 (T O Duncan 1934). A new church was built about 1784 and was replaced by the present church in 1868. In 1854 part of the original church formed the burial vault of the Kinloch family.

Name Book 1854; G Chalmers 1889

The present church is still in use and there is no trace of any earlier structure.

Visited by OS (BS) 14 July 1975

Activities

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions