Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

East Linton, Prestonkirk Parish Church And War Memorial

Church (Period Unassigned), Graffiti (19-20th Century), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Site Name East Linton, Prestonkirk Parish Church And War Memorial

Classification Church (Period Unassigned), Graffiti (19-20th Century), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) St Baldred's Kirk; Preston Kirk; War Memorial Plaque; St Andrews Church Memorial Window

Canmore ID 56218

Site Number NT57NE 2

NGR NT 59247 77811

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/56218

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Prestonkirk
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT57NE 2.00 59247 77811

(NT 5924 7780) Prestonkirk Parish Church (NAT)

and remains of (NAT)

St Baldred's Kirk (NR)

OS 6" map (1968)

NT57NE 2.01 centred NT 59254 77837 Churchyard

NT57NE 2.02 NT 59219 77849 Watch House

Prestonkirk parish church is a plain building, erected in 1770, repaired and enlarged in 1824 and recast in 1891-2. However, its chancel incorporates the E end and much truncated side walls of the 13th century church, dedicated to St Baldred, which occupied this site. There has evidently been some restoration, but this still represents the most interesting example of 13th century church architecture in Lothian.

The E gable and about 18ft of the S wall of the square-ended chancel are intact to the wall-head; the N wall of the church, though modern, appears to be built on the old foundations. A square, 17th century, tower projects from the W gable of the church.

Name Book 1853; RCAHMS 1924, visited 1913; C McWilliam 1978.

This church is still in use.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 25 October 1962

Architecture Notes

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Scottish Record Office:

Heritors plans from Prestonkirk

Reference HR113 RHP94032-94036

RHP 94032 Prestonkirk East Lothian

Architectural plans and section of proposed organ and heating chambers, with elevation of accommodating tower, at Prestonkirk (East Linton) Parish Church (differs from RHP 94033): [1891-1892]

Architects J[ames] Jerdan & Son, 12 Castle Street, Edinburgh

Ex HR113

RHP 90433 Prestonkirk East Lothian

Architectural plans and section of new organ chamber and related heating chamber at Prestonkirk (East Linton) Parish Church (differs from RHP 94032): [1891-1892]

Architects: J[ames] Jerdan & Son, 12 Castle Street, Edinburgh

Ex HR113

RHP 90434 Prestonkirk East Lothian

Architectural plan, elevation and section of screen of new organ chamber at Prestonkirk (East Linton) Parish Church, the elevation showing the organ case: [1891-1892]

Architects: J[ames] Jerdan & Son, 12 Castle Street, Edinburgh

Ex HR113

RHP 90435 Prestonkirk East Lothian

Architectural elevation of screen of proposed organ chamber at Prestonkirk (East Linton) Parish Church: [1891-1892]

Architects: J[ames] Jerdan & Son, 12 Castle Street, Edinburgh

Ex HR113

RHP 90436 Prestonkirk East Lothian

Architectural sketch plan, elevation and section of proposed organ chamber at Prestonkirk Parish Church: 15 February 1910

Architects: J N Collinson

Ex HR113

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Activities

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

Field Visit (30 October 2017)

Graffiti has been recorded at Prestonkirk Parish Church, including the letters 'JKEI' carved into the stone jamb of a window on its SSE side.

Visited by HES Survey and Recording (JRS) 30 October 2017.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions