Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Dabshead

Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name Dabshead

Classification Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 56039

Site Number NT55SW 22

NGR NT 5471 5124

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/56039

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Lauder
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Berwickshire

Archaeology Notes

NT55SW 22 5471 5124.

In the centre of the fort noted on NT55SW 14 is a monolithic stone; this is not an antiquity, but was erected on the marriage of the present Countess of Meath.

R Romanes 1897

NT 547 513. This stone, on the summit of the hill, measures 12' x 3 1/2' x 1 1/2'. There are at least seven cups on W and four on E faces, up tp 7" in diameter and 2" deep. It is possible that the cup marks were on the stone before it was re-used as a monument in the 19th century. (Information from R W B Morris letter 12 December 1968).

R W B Morris 1969

This stone is a memorial and contains five cup marks, three on the NE and two on the SW.

Visited by OS (SFS) 7 August 1975

This stone was moved from the moorland somewhere a little N of circles (on Borrowston Rig - see NT55SE 19).

W M'Conachie 1913

NT 5471 5124. This standing stone, which is now leaning and is in imminent danger of collapse, is 3.5m high, 1.0m wide and 0.4m thick. It is supported at the base by a substanttial modern cairn which is 3.0m in diameter and 1.0m high. There are five large cup marks on the stone and several other depressions near the top of its south-west side. The origin and date of these marks cannot be ascertained.

Surveyed at 1/10,000.

Visited by OS (BS) 15 May 1979

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding earthwork or monument.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions