Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Darnick, Tower Road, Darnick Tower

Garden Wall (19th Century), Tower House (16th Century)

Site Name Darnick, Tower Road, Darnick Tower

Classification Garden Wall (19th Century), Tower House (16th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Darnick Village; Abbotsford Road

Canmore ID 55720

Site Number NT53SW 14

NGR NT 53202 34375

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/55720

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Melrose
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Archaeology Notes

NT53SW 14 53202 34375

Not to be confused with Darnick, Tower Road, Fisher's Tower (NT 5320 3434), for which see NT53SW 11.

See also NT53SW 18.

(NT 5321 3437) Tower (NR).

OS 25" map (1964)

Darnick Tower, a 16th century tower-house of the Heiton family standing on the site of a predecessor destroyed in 1545. The tower is built on the T-plan with a 3-storey oblong main block running E-W and a small stair wing projecting from near the middle of the south wall. A low, possibly original, outbuilding, containing a doorway, formerly projected from the west half of the south wall but this has been removed. The tower is of rubble with freestone dressings and was formerly harled.

The entrance is in the stair wing and bears the date 1595. The windows have been enlarged, the bartizan and garret have been rebuilt and an extension has been added to the east side, but otherwise the tower retains much of its original character.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892; RCAHMS 1956, visited 1933.

This tower is in good condition and inhabited.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 30 January 1960

This tower, generally as described, is well preserved and used as a dwelling.

Surveyed at 1:1250.

Visited by OS (TRG) 1 March 1977

Architecture Notes

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

SRO-

Finishing building of Gables and chimney heads.

Renewing of part of battlements and paving.

Pointing part of tower.

Weather cock.

Repairs to Darnick Tower. Letters between Mr Heiton, builder of Edinburgh

and John Smith. Accounts sent to Mr Heiton and sketch plans.

1823 GD1/146/1

A boundary wall. Darnick Tower. Letter from John Smith to John Heiton

indicating that he had been ordered to enclose N. side of garden belonging

to John Wilson.

1831 GD1/146/1

Restoration and alterations to Darnick Tower "Railways rife and stables at

a discount now" so alterations possible. Letters, accounts and sketch plan

by John Smith for Mr John Heiton

1860 GD1/146/1

Restoration of Tower. New doors and windows. Floor paved. Stair rail

renewed.

Building of cottage adjoining tower.

Fitting up of Garret.

New windows for house adjoining (5)

Stucco for walls.

Border Magazine - March 1901, 1 photograph

Activities

Photographic Survey (1956)

Photographs by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1956.

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions