Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bemersyde House

Armorial Panel (16th Century), Country House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Bemersyde House

Classification Armorial Panel (16th Century), Country House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Bemerside; Bemersyde Tower; Bemersyde Castle; Earl Haig War Memorial

Canmore ID 55703

Site Number NT53SE 9

NGR NT 59216 33328

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/55703

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Mertoun
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Berwickshire

Archaeology Notes

NT53SE 9.00 59216 33328

NT53SE 9.01 5930 3330 Gardens

NT53SE 9.02 5927 3338 Building

NT53SE 9.03 5920 3340 Kitchen Garden

NT53SE 63 59240 33308 Sundial

For Wallace's Statue see NT53SE 103

(NT 5922 3334) Bemersyde House (NR)

OS 6" map (1967)

Bemersyde consists of a lofty rectangular tower, to which lower, modern extensions have been added to W and E. The original building, which has been a fairly typical Border peel-tower, rises to five storeys and dates from the early 16th century; it was probably built in conformity with the Act of the Scots Parliament of 1535 'for bigging of strengthis on the Bordouris'.

The upper storey is a 17th century reconstruction. The walls are very massive, reaching a thickness of 10 ft. The main doorway is in the S front, and has been enlarged. Undoubtedly there would be a house on this site from very early times, for the Haigs of Bemersyde are a very ancient family, having owned the lands reputedly as early as the 12th century, and the present building may well incorporate portions of an earlier house in its foundations.

N Tranter 1962; RCAHMS 1915, visited 1912

As described above.

Visited by OS (JD) 26 May 1955.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: James Pearson Allison - remodelling of 16th and 17th century tower

Ian G Lindsay - reconstruction - 1961

Owner: Earl Haig

Activities

Photographic Survey (January 1961)

Photographic survey of the garden and exterior of Bemersyde House, Berwickshire, by the Scottish National Buildings Record in January 1961.

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions