Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lessudden House

Country House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lessudden House

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Lussudden House

Canmore ID 55657

Site Number NT53SE 47

NGR NT 59874 31429

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/55657

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish St Boswells
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Archaeology Notes

NT53SE 47.00 59874 31429 Lessudden House

NT53SE 47.01 59939 31531 Dovecot

NT53SE 47.02 59848 31492 Burial Aisle

(NT 5987 3142) Lessudden House (NR)

OS 6" map (1967)

Lessudden House dates mainly from the 16th century, but there have been additions and alterations in the succeeding century and later. The present house consists of a main block with a small 17th century wing extending to the SE, and later work added at the main gables.

From the N front projects a narrow, semi-circular stair tower, and adjoining it rises an exceptionally massive chimney. The walls are roughcast and rise to three storeys and a garret. The present entrance is by a modern porch in the S front, near the wing, and close by is a heraldic panel with the Scott arms and date 1666.

The interior of the house has been greatly altered in the 17th century and later. It was reduced in size in 1780, the precise amount of demolition being unknown.

A house of Lessudden comes on record in 1548-9, immediately after an older one had been "brent, raced and cast doun" by the Earl of Hertford in 1545. A MS. account, in the possession of the proprietor in 1951, states that until 1780 the house was enclosed by a barmkin wall about 3 ft thick, with a gateway on the N side.

RCAHMS 1956, visited 1951; N Tranter 1962

Lessudden House is as described.

Visited by OS (EGC) 20 February 1961

Architecture Notes

NT53SE 47.00 59874 31429 Lessudden House

NT53SE 47.01 59939 31531 Dovecot

NT53SE 47.02 59848 31492 Burial Aisle

NMRS REFERENCE:

Owner: Miss Louisa Scott

Tenant: Mr and Mrs Gordon Dando

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Country Life Magazine - May 7th, 1959, p 1012

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions