Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Colmslie Tower

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Colmslie Tower

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Colmslie Castle

Canmore ID 55594

Site Number NT53NW 4

NGR NT 51336 39615

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/55594

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Melrose
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Archaeology Notes

NT53NW 4 51336 39615.

(NT 5133 3960) Colmslie Tower (NR) (In Ruins)

OS 6" map (1924)

This ruinous 16th century tower, measures externally 27ft 10in. from N to S by 41ft 6 in. from E to W. No openings are traceable in the lowest floor. The entrance must therefore have been upon the floor above, facing N, although its position cannot be identified precisely as the N wall of the tower has been breached.

The lintel, however, which has been preserved above the entrance to the modern farmhouse close by, appears to have been rather later than the tower, into whch it may have been inserted at some date after 1594.

The tower is built of roughly coursed rubble, and is said to take its name from a chapel dedicated to St. Columba (NT53NW 7); it was owned by Melrose Abbey and a tenant is mentioned in a charter of 1536.

RCAHMS 1956

The remains of this tower are described above. It measures 12.9m E-W by 8.4 m N-S. The lintel stone is over the entrance in the South front of the modern farmhouse.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 25 January 1961.

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: Upstanding building, which may not be intact.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions