Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Longniddry

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Longniddry

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) The Laird's Garden; The Laird's Dyke

Canmore ID 54953

Site Number NT47NW 5

NGR NT 4440 7617

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/54953

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Gladsmuir
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT47NW 5 4440 7617.

(NT 4440 7617) CASTLE (NR) (Site of)

(NT 4441 7627) The Laird's Garden (NAT)

OS 6" map (1908)

'The mansion of the Douglases of Longniddry, distinguished for their zeal for the reformation, is now known only by a circular mound rising a few feet above the ground, containing the subterraneous vaults which were connected with the building. The wall running along the public road is still called the Laird's Dyke, and a part of the field a little to the north the Laird's Garden' (New Statistical Account [NSA] 1845).

'In making enquiries in the vicinity very little information could be obtained as to its history. An old man in the neighbourhood states that some years ago the ruins of the castle remained which consisted of the lower apartments, these being arched or vaulted in the usual style of peel houses. These ruins were designated "The Vaults". It appears to have been surrounded by a wall of no considerable strength, part of which is still standing, and is called the Laird's Dyke. It consists of about 5 chains in length and about 5 ft high and of the ordinary thickness of a garden wall. It is now part of a road fence close to the site of the castle.'

Name Book 1892

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions