Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Redhouse Castle

Country House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Redhouse Castle

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Red Castle; Reid Spittal

Canmore ID 54877

Site Number NT47NE 2

NGR NT 46264 77070

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/54877

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Aberlady
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT47NE 2.00 NT 46264 77070

NT47NE 2.01 NT 461 770 Garden

NT47NE 2.02 NT 46374 77126 Redhouse Lodge

NT47NE 2.03 NT 46271 77003 Redhouse (Farmhouse)

NT47NE 2.04 NT 46286 77052 Dovecot

NT47NE 134 NT 46333 77080 1 Redhouse Cottage

NT47NE 157 NT 46324 77077 2 Redhouse Cottage

NT47NE 158 NT 46317 77072 3 Redhouse Cottage

(NT 4626 7706) Redhouse Castle (NR) (remains of)

OS 6" map (1968)

The ruined mansion of Redhouse stands within the walls of its park, which is now a market garden. It is of at least two periods, the oblong wing on the N of the courtyard being of approximate late 16th c date, and the rest is an early 17th c addition. The total area of the mansion and courtyard is 100' N-S by 106', while the oldest portion of the house measures 22' N-S by 45'. The courtyard has a wide late 16th c gateway which was probably surmounted by a little gatehouse. Only the southernmost of the eastern outbuildings retains its upper storey, now a dovecot. The rest are only vaulted cellars.

RCAHMS 1924

The remains are in good condition and are 15.0m long, 10.0m wide and some 36' high. There is no roof. Two staircases run to the top of the building. There are several well-preserved windows and crenellations.

OS Reviser 9 October 1953

No change to previous information. The dovecot is at NT 4628 7705.

Visited by OS (RDL) 25 October 1962 and (BS) 14 October 1975

Repair and stabilising work carried out on the castle from 1991 to 1994 under the supervision of architect A G Giffen for Wemyss and March Estate, after reports on the deteriorating condition by Historic Scotland.

A G Giffen 1995.

Architecture Notes

NT47NE 2.00 46264 77070

NMRS REFERENCE:

Late 16th century with L. shaped early 17th century addition to castle enclosing courtyard. Demolished c. 1758.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions