Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Winton House

Country House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Winton House

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Winton Castle

Canmore ID 54717

Site Number NT46NW 25

NGR NT 43815 69495

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/54717

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Pencaitland
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT46NW 25.00 43815 69495

NT46NW 25.01 436 694 Garden

NT46NW 25.02 43862 69588 Walled Garden

NT46NW 25.03 43835 69463 Terraced Garden

NT46NW 25.04 44463 69073 South Lodge

NT46NW 25.05 43834 69662 Stables

NT46NW 54 43927 69643 Laundry

(NT 4361 6949) Winton House (NAT)

OS 6" map (1970)

Winton House: Until it was forfeited in 1715, Winton was the junior house of the Setons of Seton Place. They were given the Earldom of Winton in 1600 and about that time the first Earl repaired the house, which had been burnt by Hertford (1545). The second Earl employed the King's Master Mason, William Wallace to enlarge and embellish it in 1620-7. Although the exterior is partly obscured by John Paterson's additions of about 1805, this is still one of the finest examples of Renaissance architecture in Scotland (C McWilliam 1978). What remains of the earliest masonry is a freestone rubble block, with a jamb at the E end of the N side and a stair-turret in the angle. Wallace added a square tower, projecting N, at the W end, and re-faced part of the earlier work in ashlar. Paterson made castellated additions to the entrance (N) front, and bays E and W. The main block is three storeys in height to the N, but is one storey higher to S, due to the fall of the ground.

N Tranter 1962; RCAHMS 1924

A large mansion, as described.

Visited by OS (BS) 21 October 1975.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Owner: Sir David Ogilvy

Architect: William Walace c.1620

John Paterson payment docket dated 14 Oct 1805 of addition also alts to staircase

John White, plasterer

Armstrong & Wyatt, London, woodwork, wainscot etc. estimate 1803

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Scottish Record Office:

Timber for Winton House and Stables.

Memoranda concerning cargoes. Discharge includes furnishing of the timber.

1690 GD143/3/3/28X

Scottish Record Office:

[?Winton House] Account from George Clerk rendered to Sir John Ramsay of Whythill 'for my Lord Winton's works'. The iron was supplied to George Seatone in 1689. #1993.8.6.

1690 GD143/4/5/4

Scottish Record Office:

SC40/67/3 Haddington (improved Registers) Entailed Estates

Pages 220-243 General account of money expended by Colonal John Hamilton of Pentcaitland for building additions to and making sundry repairs upon the mansion house of Winton preceding Martinmans 1804. As attested by William Balsille Foreman of said mason work, also per acknowledgement of Robert Richardson, overseer.

Stone from Hailes Quarry for said addition 1803-1804. Total #3007 13 3 3/4.

Plans:

Non-Guardianship Sites Plan Collection, DC28859- DC28861, 1954 - 1971.

Scottish Record Office: RH 15/119/48/2 John Paterson - plan of alts to staircase

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions