Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cnoc Neill

Farmstead (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Cnoc Neill

Classification Farmstead (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Loch Tigh Na Creige; Torbrec

Canmore ID 5471

Site Number NC60NW 53

NGR NC 6047 0929

NGR Description Centred NC 6031 0936 and NC 6047 0929

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/5471

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Lairg
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC60NW 53 centred 6031 0936 and 6047 0929

The grass-covered remains of a farmstead, named Torbrec in 1868.

H Morrison 1853; R J Mercer 1980.

(Location cited as NC 604 093). A ruined drystone longhouse 25m by 5m by 1.4m high. Adjacent is a small outhouse, associated enclosures and field walling. The area has been partly ploughed prior to afforestation. 150m WNW in a forest clearing are the remains of two long-houses, 17.5m by 4.0m and 12.5m by 4.0m, an associated en closure and field walls.

Visited by OS 9 December 1980.

The 1992 edition of the OS 1:10,000 map indicates unroofed buildings at NC 6031 0936 and NC 6047 0929: the NMRS record map is annotated to include both of them within the one group of buildings.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Scheduled as 'Loch Tigh na Creige, settlement... a post medieval settlement consisting of a group of house foundations and associated walled enclosures... named as Torbrec on a map of 1868.'

Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 4 October 1991.

(Eastern portion, around NC 6047 0929, scheduled as Loch Tigh na Creige, settlement). The monument comprises a post-medieval settlement consisting of a group of building foundations and associated walled enclosures. The settlement is named as Torbrec on a map of 1868.

The monument includes the foundations of one long-house, an out-house and associated field walls running down from the buildings towards a stream to the SSW. The long-house is 25m by 5m with walls surviving to 1.5m high.

Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 3 March 2000.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions