Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Ormiston Hall

Country House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Ormiston Hall

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 54707

Site Number NT46NW 17

NGR NT 41224 67717

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/54707

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Ormiston
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT46NW 17 41224 67717.

(NT 41224 67717) Ormiston Hall: The NE structure is 17th c in date. It is L-shaped on plan with the re-entrant angle facing S. The larger wing on the NE is 47 1/4' x 25 3/4' externally; the shorter wing projects 20' from the lateral wall and is 27' wide. Adjoining the lesser wing and communicating with it is another structure.

RCAHMS 1924

Ormiston Hall is now in ruins, having been burnt down during the Second World War. The E walls remain to a height of about 9.0m and the W walls to 1.0m. Some of the walling and windows have been restored and the whole is incorporated within a private garden.

Visited by OS (BS) 20 October 1975

Ormiston Hall: Only some fragments of two successive houses. First the Hall, built for John Cockburn of Ormiston by John Baxter, mason, in 1745-8, extended by Alexander Steven and George Tod for the Earl of Hopetoun in 1772, and further enlarged in the early 19th century. Of this there is only a doorpiece and three ground-floor bays, with a projecting section of five bays to the right. Beside it, a zigzag wall with slits at the angles, probably a screen to a laundry yard in which clothes were dried. Then the old Ormiston House of which a part has been incorporated in the office courtyard nearby. This includes vaulted cellars and an arched and roll-moulded doorway.

C McWilliam 1978

Architecture Notes

NT46NW 17.00 41224 67717

NT46NW 3 4110 6758 St Giles Church

NT46NW 17.01 41328 68266 Ormiston Hall Lodge

NT46NW 17.02 41294 67198 South Lodge

NT46NW 22 41108 67619 The Old Hall

NT46NW 26 41244 67360 Dovecot

NT46NW 44 41379 67950 Belsis Cottage

NT46NW 51 41148 67638 Stables

NT46NW 149 41343 67951 Walled Garden

NMRS NOTES:

Built 1745

Additon 1772 executed by Alexander Steven George Tod

Ormiston Hall gutted c.1940

John Smith - design for an orangery 1745

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Scottish Record Office

Additions at Ormiston Hall. Built by Alexander Stevens and George Tod, masons, 1772-1776.

Measurement by Robert Burn, Architect, Edinburgh, 18th June.

1776 NRA(S)888/Box117/6

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions