Ormiston, Main Street, Market Cross
- Council East Lothian
- Parish Ormiston
- Former Region Lothian
- Former District East Lothian
- Former County East Lothian
NT46NW 1 41418 69277
(NT 41418 69277) Cross (NR)
OS 6" map, (1970).
Ormiston market cross is a fine 15th century cross. Its square shaft, which is surmounted by a Latin cross, bears a sculptured shield of arms, the device on which is now defaced. It stands on a modern base.
V G Childe and W D Simpson 1954; J W Small 1900.
No change to previous information.
Visited by OS(BS) 21 October 1975.
This 15th century cross may have been connected with a chapel that stood athwart the present High Street, and made over for a new role when the village of Ormiston was built by John Cockburn - about 1735. (cf NT 46 NW(M) 5.)
C McWilliam 1978.