Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Saltoun Hall

Country House (15th Century)

Site Name Saltoun Hall

Classification Country House (15th Century)

Canmore ID 54697

Site Number NT46NE 8

NGR NT 46065 68447

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/54697

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Saltoun
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT46NE 8.00 46065 68447

(NT 4608 6844) Saltoun Hall (NAT)

OS 6" map (1969)

Saltoun Hall, a large mansion in Castellated Gothic style, was built by William Burn from 1817 on a basis of earlier work. The house faces N. The earliest part is the range on the W. In 1769 Lord Fletcher was adding a two-storey wing along what is now the S front; all that is left of it is an inscribed tablet now in the gallery. This wing and the old block formed and 'L', with a stair in the angle. In 1803, Robert Burn added turrets at the engles and castellated the whole work, but William Burn's vast enlargements obliterated all the earlier structure. The Hall was subdivided into flats in 1967.

In the 12th century, Saltoun was a possession of the de Morevilles; in 1548 it was one of the strengths occupied by the English, and in 1643 the lands and barony of Saltoun with tower, manor place, etc were sold to Sir Andrew Fletcher.

C McWilliam 1978; RCAHMS 1924, visited 1920

As described.

Visited by OS (BS) 25 July 1975.

Architecture Notes

NT46NE 8.00 NT 46065 68447

NT46NE 8.01 NT 4610 6838 Garden

NT46NE 8.02 NT 4608 6844 Sundial

NT46NE 8.03 NT 46241 68311 Ornamental well

NT46NE 8.04 NT 45516 67626 West Lodge

NT46NE 8.05 NT 46463 68227 South Lodge

NT46NE 8.06 NT 457 688 Garden Cottage

NT46NE 8.07 NT 45864 68874 Gas works

NT46NE 8.08 NT 46241 68357 Carriage House

NT46NE 25 NT 46507 68842 Home Farm

NT46NE 27 NT 45978 68973 North Lodge

NT46NE 28 NT 46250 68338 Stables

NT46NE 37 NT 45932 68494 Dovecot

NT46NE 38 NT 46517 68837 Home Farm, Dovecot

NMRS REFERENCE:

Owner: Capt. J.T.T.Fletcher

Architects: Robert Burn - additions 1803

William Burn - large scale additions 1818-1825

W. Beattie Brown - South Lodge 1913

J. Edmundson & Co - gasworks

Inventory of drawings in National Library - typescript list R6(P4)

Inventory to John Warren Drawings - typrscript list (R6(P46)

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Scottish Record Office

Described as a 'Great New Gothic Castle'.

Letter from Harriet Scott to Lady Diana Scott, her mother-in-law.

1825 GD 157/2294/1

[Architect: William Burn 1789-1870].

National Library of Scotland - Saltoun Maps. John Hay 1818 - design for a kitchen garden, orchard etc.

John Bell, Land surveyor 1805 - plan of the estate of Saltoun

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions