Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Galashiels, The Peel

Tower (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Galashiels, The Peel

Classification Tower (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Hunter's Hall; Clovenfords

Canmore ID 54356

Site Number NT43NE 22

NGR NT 4935 3567

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/54356

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Galashiels
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Selkirkshire

Archaeology Notes

NT43NE 22 4935 3567.

(Area NT 493356) 'The Peel' or 'Hunter's Hall', a royal hunting seat, was demolished in 1814 to make room for an addition to the south side of the parish school. It was a strong, square tower, built of very large stones and had very small windows. From it a narrow lane, 'The King's Shan', led to the town. This name survives but is applied to part of Gala Hill at NT 492 355.

A Jeffrey 1864; A Lang and J Lang 1913; T Craig-Brown 1886

The parish school is shown on Woods plan at approx NT 4935 3567; the area is now overlaid by dense housing development and no trace of the school or tower remain.

J Wood 1824

Visited by OS (TRG) 1 March 1977

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This was the site of an archaeological monument, which may no longer be visible.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions