Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Galashiels, Church Street, Gala Burial Aisle

Burial Aisle (17th Century), Church (17th Century), Churchyard (17th Century)

Site Name Galashiels, Church Street, Gala Burial Aisle

Classification Burial Aisle (17th Century), Church (17th Century), Churchyard (17th Century)

Canmore ID 54349

Site Number NT43NE 16

NGR NT 49451 35708

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/54349

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Galashiels
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Selkirkshire

Archaeology Notes

NT43NE 16 49451 35708.

(NT 49453570) Aisle (NR)

OS 25" map (1964)

The burial-aisle of the Scotts of Gala, built in 1636, in the parish churchyard immediately to the north of the site of the parish church, which was built in 1617 and demolished in 1813.

As originally built the aisle was probably free-standing but in the 18th century it was connected to the 'laird's loft' of the church. It is a small oblong building of rubble with freestone dressings and measures 25' 10" by 19' over walls 2' 4" thick. Most of the north gable and parts of the side walls are of the original 17th century work but the rest is a 19th century restoration. The churchyard contains no stone earlier than 1697.

W Rutherford 1930; RCAHMS 1957, visited 1947

There is no trace of the old parish church, and although it is still roofed, the aisle has been gutted.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 24 January 1961

The burial-aisle, called 'The Aisle' on Wood's plan of 1824, is now roofless but the walls survive to their original height. The building is oriented NE-SW and has a large window at each end with an arched doorway in the W wall.

There is no trace of the parish church in the "burying ground" (NT 49453569); the 1824 plan shows the replacement parish church at NT 49333581 but this too has been destroyed.

Aisle surveyed at 1:1250.

Visited by OS (TRG) 1 March 1977

Activities

Photographic Survey (1986)

Recording of gravestones in Galashiels Burial Ground by Mrs Betty Willsher in 1986.

Sbc Note (15 April 2016)

Visibility: Standing structure or monument.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions