Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Galashiels, Scott Crescent, Old Gala House

Bastle (16th Century), Country House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Galashiels, Scott Crescent, Old Gala House

Classification Bastle (16th Century), Country House (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 54348

Site Number NT43NE 15

NGR NT 49165 35897

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/54348

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Galashiels
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Selkirkshire

Archaeology Notes

NT43NE 15.00 49165 35897

NT43NE 15.01 491 358 garden

NT43NE 15.02 49050 35902

(NT 491358) Old Gala House (NAT)

OS 25" map (1964)

Old Gala House is a composite structure standing on the site of a tower built in 1457 and extant in 1544. The oldest part of the house appears to be the NE which probably dates from 1583 and consists of two storeys and an attic. A three-storey self-contained house with a stair-tower was added on the SE in 1611; and a two-storey extension to this was built in the mid 18th century. Further alterations and additions were made in the 19th century. The masonry throughout is rubble with freestone dressings.

The house originally belonged to the Pringles but by the early 17th century it had passed to the Scotts. Since 1949 it has been used as a clubhouse by Galashiels Arts Club.

RCAHMS 1957, visited 1954

The house is well-preserved and still in use.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 24 January 1961

Old Gala House (name verified) is well preserved and is generally as described by the RCAHMS. It is still used by the Galashiels Arts Club.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (TRG) 1 March 1977.

Architecture Notes

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Border Magazine, February 1900 - photograph

SRO/NRA(S)

Scott of Gala

Bundle 464

Sanderson and Paterson to John Scott of Gala, Galashiels: Repairs to Gala House: shaky

state of the gable. 21 May 1834.

Bundle 707

Accs. due to Robert Mall & Co. Builders, Galashiels, for additions and alterations to Gala

House 1859-60.

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions