Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Selkirk, General

Burgh (Medieval), Town (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Selkirk, General

Classification Burgh (Medieval), Town (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 54271

Site Number NT42NE 8

NGR NT 46982 28480

NGR Description Centred NT 46982 28480

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/54271

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Selkirk
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Selkirkshire

Archaeology Notes

NT42NE 8 centred 46982 28480

The Burgh of Selkirk. The burgh most probably originated in a settlement which grew up close to the royal castle of Selkirk, itself in existence as early as the reign of David I.

The early history of the town is obscure, and the date of its erection into a royal burgh is unknown, although it was certainly such in 1366. (J M Thomson 1984)

The mediaeval burgh does not, however, seem to have been a place of much consequence, and the liberties and privileges of the town date, for the most part, from the 16th century. In shape the mediaeval burgh was roughly triangular, with the High Street or Main Street running from SW. to NE., expanding midway into the market-place, and ending in two gates: respectively the East Port and the West Port. From the East Port a street known as the Back Row trended slightly W. of S. until it met a third street, the Kirk Wynd, which ran SE. from the West Port. On the SE. of the junction a third gate, previously known as the South Port, Under Port, or Foulbridge Port, barred entry from the direction of Hawick. As its name implies, the Kirk Wynd gave access to the parish church, which Christopher Lowther described in 1629 as "a very pretty church, the form of it a cross house, the steeple having at each corner 4 pyramidal turrets." He continues, "The inhabitants at Selkrig (sic) are a drunken kind of people". (C Lowther 1894)

Nothing, however, now remains of the town as Lowther saw it, and in fact none of the surviving buildings seems to be earlier than the 18th century.

RCAHMS 1957.

Architecture Notes

NT42NE 8 46982 28480

NMRS REFERENCE

The location in Selkirk which relates to collection item SMO C/2/23 cannot be determined at time of entry (AC 3 July 2002).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions