Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Philiphaugh House

Country House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Philiphaugh House

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 54237

Site Number NT42NW 50

NGR NT 43686 27922

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Selkirk
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Selkirkshire

Archaeology Notes

NT42NW 50 43686 27922

(Area: NT 458 283) The old house of Philiphaugh stood in the vicinity of Lauriston Villa (? Lauriston Cottage, at NT 4586 2827) and the Cricket Field (NT 4590 2837). It was built in 1535 and stood until about 1847. In 1722 it was described as an ancient house with dovecot.

T Craig-Brown 1886; Name Book 1858, W Macfarlane 1906; New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845.

The present Philiphaugh House (built 1964) replaces an earlier mansion house, which is depicted on the OS 2nd Edition map (Selkirkshire, sheet XI, 1898).

Information from RCAHMS (HMLB), July 2002.

Architecture Notes

NT42NW 50.00 43686 27922

NT42NW 50.01 44287 27725 Bothy Cottage

NT42NW 50.02 43341 28134 West Lodge



Robert Adam scheme Vol. 42 ( 29-33) 1763 not carried out (This scheme was possibley to make a new seat at Philiphaugh after the loss of Hangingshaw in a fire).

C.S. Johnston - proposed S. Baronial additions 1891 (not built, but designs preserved in present house)

Demolished after 1965 and before 1970


Soane Museum, London

Letter inserted into the Soane Museum's copy of Bolton. Elliot Grieve, builder, The Glebe, Selkirk, 25 February 1930. Has seen drawings signed by James Adam 1768, for John Murray, Esq., Philiphaugh. They comprise principal floor plan, basement plan, pair of stairs storey plan and attic plan. Section. These may be for Hangingshaw House, Selkirkshire.


Photographic Survey (June 1964)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record/Ministry of Work in June 1964.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions