Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Wester Alemoor

Gun Emplacement (17th Century), Site (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Wester Alemoor

Classification Gun Emplacement (17th Century), Site (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Alemoor Tower; Alemoor Loch

Canmore ID 54126

Site Number NT41NW 1

NGR NT 4044 1572

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/54126

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Roberton
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Archaeology Notes

NT41NW 1 4044 1572.

(NT 4044 1572) Tower (NR - Siting symbol shown)

OS 6" map (1924)

Tower and Indeterminate Remains, Wester Alemoor. This tower, which stood on the high left bank of the Ale Water about a quarter of a mile below Alemoor Loch, is represented only by grass-grown mounds. Immediately south of these, however, there is a much-broken earthwork, measuring 7 yds from N to S by 10 yds from E to W and resembling a gun-position of the 17th. century.

In 1511 the lands of Alemere, "cum turre", etc., then in the county of Selkirk, were included in a grant to Adam Hepburn, Earl of Bothwell.

(J B Paul 1984)

RCAHMS 1956, visited 1931

The remains of this tower and possible gun-position have now been completely destroyed by a new road . Local enquiries revealed that nothing of interest was known to have been discovered in the course of the work, but much stone had been lifted out and re-used.

Visited by OS (RDL) 11 July 1962

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This was the site of an archaeological monument, which may no longer be visible.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions