Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Musselburgh, High Street, Mercat Cross

Market Cross (18th Century)

Site Name Musselburgh, High Street, Mercat Cross

Classification Market Cross (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Market Cross, Musselburgh

Canmore ID 53814

Site Number NT37SW 164

NGR NT 34629 72739

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/53814

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Inveresk (East Lothian)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT37SW 164 3463 7273

The Burgh Cross stands some 30m E of the Town House. From a square pedestal three steps rise to a Tuscan shaft of the late 18th century supporting a lion and the burgh arms.

RCAHMS 1929; C McWilliam 1978.

(Former index no. 1214). Descheduled.

Information from Historic Scotland, Certificate of Exclusion from Schedule dated 18 March 2009.

Activities

Publication Account (1996)

This particular cross dates back only to the middle decades of the eighteenth century, but is symbolic of the primary function of a burgh- as a market. The earlier cross, or crosses, may not have stood in precisely this spot, as it is known that the market cross was moved in 1774, after the demolition of Mid Row (see p 39), but it is likely to have been close by, as it would have stood near to the other important structure of urban life - the tolbooth.

Information from ‘Historic Musselburgh: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1996).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions