Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cowthrople

Country House (17th Century)

Site Name Cowthrople

Classification Country House (17th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Dolphingston

Canmore ID 53715

Site Number NT37SE 7

NGR NT 3822 7273

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/53715

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Prestonpans
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT37SE 7 3822 7273.

(NT 3822 7273) Cowthrople or Dolphingston (NR) (remains of)

OS 1:10000 map (1973)

Cowthrople or Dolphinston (sic), built in the late 17th c. was of considerable size, oriented E-W. Only part of one wall remains, indicating the barrel-vaulted basement. The upper floor windows were large, and their jambs have back-set margins, indicating that the building was roughcast. The ruin stands within an apparently contemporary high wall.

Cromwell is traditionally said to have occupied this house for a time.

RCAHMS 1924, visited 1914; D E Green 1907

Nothing now remains of Cowthrople.

Visited by OS (SFS( 26 August 1975

Activities

Field Visit (4 May 1914)

About 150 yards south of the Edinburgh to Haddington high road and about 1 ¼ miles south-southwest of Preston is a fragment of a dwelling dating from the late 17th century. The structure has evidently been of considerable size with its major axis lying east and west. Only a portion of one wall remains, but this shows that the basement apartments were covered with a stone barrel vault and lit by narrow slits 5 inches wide and 2 feet high. The upper floor windows were large, and their jambs have back-set margins, indicating that the building was roughcast. The ruin stands within an area enclosed by a high wall apparently contemporary, at the north side of which is a circular Dovecot in three stages 51 feet in girth at base.

HISTORICAL NOTE. In 1680 Richard Ward (‘Ricardus Waird’) was entered as heir of his father of the same name in the barony of Dolphinstoune, formerly called ‘Colthrople’ within the parish of Saltprestoune. Three years later Elizabeth Ward appears as successor to her brother Richard in the same property (Inquis. Spec. Hadd. Nos. 339, 346).

RCAHMS 1924, visited 4 May 1914.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions