Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Saint Clement's Wells

Distillery (Period Unassigned), Settlement (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Saint Clement's Wells

Classification Distillery (Period Unassigned), Settlement (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Falside

Canmore ID 53713

Site Number NT37SE 68

NGR NT 375 713

NGR Description NT c. 375 713

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/53713

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Tranent
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT37SE 68 c. 375 713.

The OSA notes that 'the most considerable distillery now in Scotland is carried on at St Clement's Wells' (NT 375 713) 'Coal is conveniently situated in a park adjoining the work'. At that time there was a small village of 145 inhabitants, most of whom worked the coal, in the vicinity of Falside Castle (NT 377 709), while the population of St Clement's Wells was 74; in 1800 it had risen to 209. Now only the farm remains.

OSA 1791; P M'Neill 1883.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions