Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Prestonpans, Harlawhill House

House (17th Century)

Site Name Prestonpans, Harlawhill House

Classification House (17th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Harlowhill House; Harlaw Hill

Canmore ID 53672

Site Number NT37SE 30

NGR NT 38940 74633

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/53672

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Prestonpans
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT37SE 30 38939 74633.

The quaint old mansion of Harlowhill stands in a walled garden at the east end of the village of Prestonpans. The existing building consists of an L-shaped house, of probably the early 17th century, with later additions to the N and E. The actual date of erection is not known, but Mr P McNeill in his volume on Prestonpans and vicinity states that the house was occupied by David Hamilton in 1596. According to a local slater, who made the discovery recently while effecting repairs, the date 1641 is clearly cut on the lead of the roof, and this date is not out of keeping with the style of building.

The main block of the old mansion lies E-W with the wing projecting southward. The walls are of rubble, roughcast and white-washed, and rise to two storeys and a garret in height. The windows, to which, as usual, some alterations have been made, have chamfered margins.

That window nearest the re-entrant angle has probably been the original entrance.

The house, which is still occupied, and in good repair, was formerly a possession of the family of Hamilton of Preston.

N Tranter 1935

Not of outstanding architectural interest. Name confirmed.

Visited by OS (RD) 4 January 1972

Architecture Notes

NT37SE 30.00 38940 74633

NT37SE 30.01 38927 74611 Stables, North Block

NT37SE 30.02 38929 74594 Stables, South Block

Site Management (3 July 1997)

L-plan, with later 17th century tower to front. E wing and stables added late 18th century. Original house essentially 2-storey, 3-bay, E wing of similar proportions. Random rubble, raised margins, harled and gabled. S wing collapsed from mining subsidence 1968.

The extensions of the late 18th century were built for Fowler the brewer of Prestonpans. There is evidence that earlier window and door openings would be found under the current harling. As well as the collapsed S wing, the rest of the house is deteriorating but, is still inhabited (1996). (Historic Scotland)

Activities

Photographic Survey (September 1962)

Survey of Harlawhill House, Prestonpans, East Lothian, by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1962.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions