Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Newtongrange, Lady Victoria Colliery, Boiler House And Chimney

Boiler (Period Unassigned), Colliery (Period Unassigned), Museum (19-20th Century)

Site Name Newtongrange, Lady Victoria Colliery, Boiler House And Chimney

Classification Boiler (Period Unassigned), Colliery (Period Unassigned), Museum (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Original Boiler House

Canmore ID 53621

Site Number NT36SW 22.06

NGR NT 3332 6380

NGR Description Centred NT3332 6380 and NT3330 6381 to NT3334 6378

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/53621

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Midlothian
  • Parish Cockpen
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District Midlothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT36SW 22.06 centred 3332 6380 and 3330 6381 to 3334 6378

Boiler (Egg-end)

The foundations of the original c.1890 colliery boiler house which served the original power house were discovered during building work on the museum site.

Information from K Lingstadt, Curator, Lady Victoria Colliery, Newtongrange, 28th November 1998.

Originally the chimney stood 150 feet (46 metres) high, and provided the updraft for the bank of steam boilers. It has since been twice reduced in size, mainly for safety reasons.

The surviving plant was installed sometime between 1913 and 1932, and eventually replaced the original boiler house which stood nearby. The new arrangement had 12 Lancashire Boilers, which were later reduced to 8, with economisers. They were fed with silt from the Dredger or Fines Treatment Plant.

The original boiler house housed only six boilers of a similar type.

Information taken from Lady Victoria Scottish Mining Museum pamphlet dated 1991

Site Management (5 February 2009)

BOILER HOUSE: built circa 1915-17 Steel-framed, M-roofed and brick clad with arched openings to E elevation, remaining elevations open. Contains 7 Lancashire boilers, by Tinker Shenton Ltd, Hyde, economisers by Green & Co Ltd, Wakefield and superheaters by Cooper & Greig, Dundee.

The surface buildings and plant together form the best preserved pre-First World War model colliery complex in the UK. Complete model colliery comprising brick-built and steel-framed structures with sheet-metal-clad roofs. (Historic Scotland)

The site contains 8 Lancashire Boilers, rather than the 7 previously identified. (Industrial Heritage Consulting Ltd)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions