Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Newtongrange, Lady Victoria Colliery, Winding Engine House

Colliery (Period Unassigned), Engine House (19th Century), Museum (19-20th Century), Steam Engine (19th Century)

Site Name Newtongrange, Lady Victoria Colliery, Winding Engine House

Classification Colliery (Period Unassigned), Engine House (19th Century), Museum (19-20th Century), Steam Engine (19th Century)

Canmore ID 53620

Site Number NT36SW 22.10

NGR NT 3331 6374

NGR Description Centred NT3331 6374

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/53620

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Midlothian
  • Parish Cockpen
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District Midlothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT36SW 22.10 centred 3331 6374

The building was originally lined with timber panelling, but after a fire in 1902, this was replaced with tiles.

The winding engine was manufactured and installed by Grant, Ritchie and Co of Kilmarnock in 1894. It has two horizontal cylinders, each 3ft 6in (1.07m), in diameter, with a stroke of 7ft (2.13m), complete with Cornish valves and variable expansion gear. The engine drives a winding drum 20ft (6.10m) in diameter and 10ft 6in (3.20m) wide, round which is wound the wire rope to the two cages in the shaft. Each cage counterbalances the other.

Information taken from Lady Victoria Scottish Mining Museum pamphlet dated 1991

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions