Ford House
Lairds House (17th Century) (1680)
Site Name Ford House
Classification Lairds House (17th Century) (1680)
Alternative Name(s) Ford Village
Canmore ID 53548
Site Number NT36SE 2
NGR NT 38935 64359
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/53548
- Council Midlothian
- Parish Crichton
- Former Region Lothian
- Former District Midlothian
- Former County Midlothian
NT36SE 2.00 NT 38935 64359
NT36SE 2.01 NT 38917 64340 Walled Garden
(NT 38935 64359) Ford House (NR)
OS 6" map (1966)
Ford House, built in 1680, the date inscribed on the lintel of the window in the N gable of the wing, is a two-storeyed L-shaped house.
RCAHMS 1929, visited 1914; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892
Ford House is as described and in good order.
Visited by OS (BS) 24 October 1975.
NMRS REFERENCE:
Owner: Mr & Mrs F P Tindall
EXTERNAL REFERENCE:
Photgraphs: National Library of Scotland - 1 sketch
Sketches of Scottish Scenery. 21,
Field Visit (23 June 1914)
Ford House.
Less than a quarter of a mile west of Pathhead, on the old road to Edinburgh, is a small but well-preserved house (Fig. 50 [SC 1234103]) dating from the last quarter of the 17th century. On plan the structure is L-shaped, with the main block running east and west and the wing north and south. Within the re-entrant angle is a semi-octagonal tower containing a wheel-staircase and roofed with a slated timber roof of ogival shape. The building is covered with roughcast, but the back-set window margins are exposed; the gables are crow-stepped. The roof of the main block has apparently been renewed, but that of the wing has probably been only re-covered; towards the courtyard the latter contains a dormer window of old form. The window in the north gable of the wing is dated on the lintel 1680.
The building is two storeys and an attic in height, and no part is vaulted. In the dining room and also in the attic chamber above it the walls are covered with contemporary wooden panelling, probably of Memel pine. The dining-room fireplace is of stone and has moulded jambs; its hearth is paved with marble quarries, alternately white and black.
Ford as an independent estate ‘originally belonged to a branch of the Frasers of Lovat, who built Ford House in 1680’ - Cranston, a Parish History, by Rev. John Dickson, p. 26.
RCAHMS 1929, visited 23 June 1914.
Photographic Survey (1956)
Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1956.
