Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dalkeith Policies, Montagu Bridge

Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dalkeith Policies, Montagu Bridge

Classification Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Dalkeith Estate; Dalkeith Park; Dalkeith Country Park; River North Esk

Canmore ID 53524

Site Number NT36NW 88

NGR NT 33363 68120

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/53524

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Midlothian
  • Parish Dalkeith
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District Midlothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT36NW 88 33363 68120

Montagu Bridge [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1978.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect:

Robert Adam 1791

Wm Chambers after 1770 - not executed

NMRS Printroom

W Schomberg Scott Photograph Collection Acc 1997/39

the Montagu Bridge - 2 prints

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Drumlanrig Castle - Robert Adam - design for a bridge over the River Esk (framed watercolour).

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Activities

Publication Account (1998)

Nearby are the eighteenth-century (or possibly early nineteenth-century) classical laundry and laundry bridge. Montagu Bridge figure 23.D, spanning the North Esk, was designed by Robert Adam and constructed by his brother James in 1792. Three huge life-sized sculptures of stags were originally prominent features along the bridge parapet, but these were removed as they frightened the horses. The bridge was erected by the third duke lo celebrate the inheritance by his wife of the Montagu estates.

Information from ‘Historic Dalkeith: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1998).

Project (2007)

This project was undertaken to input site information listed in 'Civil engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' by R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Publication Account (2007)

The Montagu Bridge crosses the river North Esk on the main approach to Dalkeith House, with a 70 ft semicircular arch span designed by Robert and James Adam and built in ca.1793.

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission of Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions